It was a day (and night) of firsts for us as a family.
It was my first night back to work after being off for what doesn't seem like a long enough time, but in actuality is roughly 12 days. That's assuming my math is correct, which at this point is anyone's guess.
Work wasn't all bad. I won't discuss it here, but I'm glad to be back and a "gentle re-entry" was good enough for me. For now, the girls know I go to work after they are in bed and come home in the morning after they get up. We haven't discussed the specifics of what I do, but I'm sure they will come someday soon. I don't want any of the their previous experiences to create a negative image of daddy.
The second first for us was going to church as a family with children. I was pleasantly surprised the girls sat quietly during the meeting. They appeared to do well in their own classes too. I've got a picture of them in their "first sunday" dresses I'll have to get posted soon, but don't have the energy at the moment.
A final note: One thing that will never cease to amaze me is the creativity of children. It makes me try to remember how I was as a child and if I was as creative, less creative, or more creative as children are today; it also has made me realize I need to tap back into that creativity to keep up.
For instance: While everyone was getting ready this morning Fatima brought me her stuffed pink unicorn and told me it was either hurt or dead, I can't remember which right now. Not knowing what I was supposed to do, I immediately began CPR. After some big mouth to snout rescue breaths and quick chest compressions, the unicorn came back to life with a loud whinnee. My efforts didn't last very long though, since the unicorn was brought back to me within minutes having the same chief complaint, death. Seeing the results of my CPR on a magical animal weren't lasting, I had to resort to some magic. If I remember correctly, I waved my hand over the dead beast and made some buzzing/humming noises then said "poof"! Again, a loud whinnee and the Unicorn was set free.
A few minutes later I was brought a dead bear...
Unfortunately for the bear my energy and magic powers had been exhausted by then and I was forced to decline any attempt at restoration of life.
I love my kids.

No comments:
Post a Comment